Compliance with environmental responsibility is a fundamental responsibility of every modern mining company and an integral part of the business strategy of Joint Stock Company Navoi Mining and Metallurgical Company.
Although mining has a significant impact on the environment, we strive to manage and minimize the environmental impacts of our operations. Our approach is aimed at reducing the risks of negative consequences and at promoting the creation of a sustainable environment in the regions where we operate. We apply the highest standards of sustainable use of resources and energy, work to recycle and reduce waste, to conserve land. This not only creates conditions for the well-being of people in the regions of operation and the protection and maintenance of ecosystems, but also provides significant cost savings for our business and increased efficiency.
Policy of JSC NMMC in the field of ecology:
● implementation of restorative and preventive technological, technical and organizational measures to ensure the preservation of the regenerative capacity of the environment under the influence of technogenic factors;
● reducing the negative impact of production activities on the environment, preserving biodiversity in the locations of production facilities.
Aims of JSC NMMC for environmental protection:
● prevention of environmental pollution;
● restoration of lands disturbed by technogenic impact;
● maximum use of mineral raw materials with minimal expenditure of material, energy, technical, environmental and financial resources;
● minimization of the risks of emergency or other unforeseen situations, mitigating the impact of their consequences on the environment;
● effective improvement of functioning and deepening of the environmental management system based on the international standard ISO 14001:2015.
The Company carries out environmental protection measures in the following key areas:
● monitoring of sources of pollution of water resources;
● monitoring of air pollution sources;
● monitoring of soil pollution sources;
● monitoring of groundwater pollution.
As part of the fight against climate change and the effective management of climate risks, we are working to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, in particular to reduce the consumption of energy from non-renewable sources. As part of the ongoing program of measures, work is underway to modernize energy-intensive industries and increase energy efficiency, we are also introducing the use of alternative and renewable energy sources.
NMMC conducts large-scale work in the direction of "green energy", including today
- 2 reactive power sources were introduced, which provide annual savings in electricity consumption in the amount of 57.9 billion soums;
- 4 photovoltaic stations with a total capacity of 210 kW were introduced, which generate 335 thousand kWh of electrical energy per year;
- solar installations for hot water supply were introduced;
- the issue of construction of a 200 MW photovoltaic stations is being worked out;
- the issue of increasing the share of transportation of rock mass by cyclic-flow technology is being worked out;
- the issue of using trolley carriers - heavy dump trucks for transporting rock mass in open pit mining is being worked out.